At a glance...
- The average equipment grant for an individual child or young person is £2,000, but there is no limit on the amount that can be applied for. The average equipment grant for an organisation is £5,000.
- Over the past 3 years, we have donated over £1m of specialist equipment.
- Due to the volume of applications we receive, the average waiting time for funding is around 6 months.
We provide grants for specialist disability equipment that isn’t available through statutory services. This includes, but isn’t limited to:
- In-home and mobile hoists
- Orthopaedic beds, cots, and seating
- Personal monitors and alarms
- Sensory equipment
- Car seats
- Standers, walkers and gait trainers
- Outdoor play equipment
- Specialist sports equipment
- Communication aids and software
- Bathing, showering, and toileting adaptive equipment
- Sleep systems and travel pods
- Tough furniture
- Electrotherapeutic, lycra and scoliosis suits
- Oxygen generators and airway clearance systems
- Through-floor lifts
Applications for wheelchairs should be made via our wheelchair grants programme.
You are eligible to apply for a personal grant provided that the beneficiary:
- Is a child or young person aged 18 or under
- Has a recognised disability or long term health condition
- Is permanently resident in the UK
SEND and mainstream schools and non-profit organisations that work with children and young people are also eligible to apply for a Variety equipment grant.
Applying for a grant
Applying to Variety for help is straightforward. You can submit an application at any time by sending us:
- Your completed application form, which can be downloaded below
- A letter of support from a relevant healthcare professional (such as an occupational therapist, physiotherapist or paediatrician)
- A quote for the equipment you are applying for from the supplier that you wish to use (sometimes we need two quotes but we’ll let you know if that applies to your application)
Your application will be passed on to one of our volunteers to be assessed. Each application is assessed on its own merit and will take into account your financial situation, the frequency with which the equipment will be used, how any maintenance costs will be covered, how safely the equipment will be stored and the impact the equipment will have on the child or young person. Once the application is approved, Variety will be able to seek sponsorship. We never make cash grants but will liaise directly with your supplier to arrange delivery straight to your door.
For more information or to discuss a speculative application, give our grants team a call on 0207 428 8100 or email email@example.com