At a glance...
- On average, Variety funds a wheelchair every 5 days.
- Our average wheelchair grant is £5,000, but we consider applications for any amount.
- Around half of the wheelchairs that Variety provides are sports wheelchairs.
- Over 4,300 children and young people have benefited from a Variety wheelchair grant.
- Lightweight manual wheelchairs that fit in the boot of your car but still enable the user to develop the ability to self-propel if they wish to
- Powered wheelchairs which enable children and young people to get around more easily at school and keep up with their friends
- Standing wheelchairs which offer greater independence and reduce the risk of secondary complications associated with prolonged sitting in wheelchairs
- All-terrain wheelchairs for children who love the outdoors
- Sports wheelchairs, both manual and powered, so that young people can progress to the top of their game - we fund all types of sports wheelchairs.
All of the wheelchairs that Variety provides are bespoke in order to meet the needs of the user. We have no preferred suppliers but use the supplier of your choice instead. This means that you will get exactly what you need.
You are eligible to apply for a wheelchair grant provided that the beneficiary:
- Is a child or young person aged 18 or under
- Has a recognised disability or long term health condition
- Is permanently resident in the UK
Non-profit sports clubs working with children and young people are also eligible to apply for sports wheelchairs for use at the club.
Applying for a Grant
Applying to Variety for help is straightforward. You can submit an application at any time by sending us:
- Your completed application form which can be downloaded below
- A letter of support from a relevant healthcare professional (such as an occupational therapist, physiotherapist or paediatrician)
- A quote for the equipment you are applying for from the supplier that you wish to use (sometimes we need two quotes but we’ll let you know if that applies to your application)
- For sports wheelchairs only, a letter of support from your sports club outlining the applicant's commitment to the sport and their regular participation.
Your application will be passed on to one of our volunteers to be assessed. Each application is assessed on its own merit and will take into account your financial situation, the frequency with which the wheelchair will be used, how any maintenance costs will be covered, how safely the wheelchair will be stored and the impact that it will have on the child or young person. We never make cash grants, but will liaise directly with your supplier to arrange delivery straight to your door.
How to apply
For more information, or to discuss a speculative application, give our grants team a call on 0207 428 8100 or email firstname.lastname@example.org