Equipment grants for children
Life-changing equipment grants for mobility, independence and social inclusion
The right piece of equipment can mean the difference between playing outside with friends or watching from the sidelines; between being independent or relying on others for everything; between being able to do tasks safely and comfortably or struggling. It can help with pain management, muscle strength, communication, sensory challenges, self-esteem, social skills and confidence.
For Rhys to maintain a life, he needed a car seat. I can’t thank Variety enough for their help.Mum, Sarah
Variety can help by funding grants for a broad range of specialist equipment. Please note that applications for wheelchairs should be made via our wheelchair grants programme.
What equipment items does Variety fund?
- In-home and mobile hoists
- Orthopaedic beds, cots, and seating
- Personal monitors and alarms
- Sensory equipment
- Car seats
- Standers, walkers and gait trainers
- Specialist sports equipment
- Communication aids and software
- Bathing, showering, and toileting adaptive equipment
- Sleep systems and travel pods
- Tough furniture
- Electrotherapeutic, lycra and scoliosis suits
- Oxygen generators and airway clearance systems
- Through-floor lifts
Who can apply?
Children and young people are eligible for a grant if they meet the following criteria:
- They’re aged 18 or under
- They have a recognised disability or long-term health condition
- They are permanently resident in the UK
SEND and mainstream schools and non-profit organisations that work with children and young people are also eligible to apply for a Variety equipment grant.
How do I apply for an equipment grant?
Applying to Variety for help is straightforward. You can submit an application at any time by sending us:
- Your completed application form, which can be downloaded below
- A letter of support from a relevant healthcare professional (such as an occupational therapist, physiotherapist or paediatrician)
- A quote for the equipment you are applying for from the supplier that you wish to use (sometimes we need two quotes but we’ll let you know if that applies to your application).
Your application will be passed on to one of our volunteers to be assessed. Each application is assessed on its own merit and will take into account your financial situation, the frequency with which the equipment will be used, how any maintenance costs will be covered, how safely the equipment will be stored and the impact the equipment will have on the child or young person. Once the application is approved, Variety will be able to seek sponsorship. We never make cash grants but will liaise directly with your supplier to arrange delivery straight to your door.
How will the COVID-19 pandemic affect my application?
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, there may be some delay with regard to funding grants and we are not currently accepting applications from organisations for equipment grants. We also have less control over timeframes, making it difficult for us in certain circumstances to team up with other charities to co-fund equipment grants and wheelchairs. We do, of course, welcome contributions from applicants towards the equipment where possible. This situation will hopefully change soon, so please watch this space for updates.
Get in touch
Got a question? Need to discuss a speculative application? Call our friendly grants team on 0207 428 8100 or email email@example.com